Author Topic: Talent/Ability Workshop  (Read 625 times)

Swordbreaker

• Become what you mussel.
    • View Profile
Talent/Ability Workshop
« on: March 21, 2021, 10:14:53 am »
I'd like to use this thread to discuss some talent ideas I might have in the future.

Sword Beam
Activation: Active - Action
Ranked: No
Tier: 3
When wielding a sword weapon, your character may make a Melee (Heavy or Light) combat check as a ranged attack against a target at short range. Your character uses Willpower (instead of Brawn) to make this attack. If successful, the attack deals base damage equal to your character's Willpower, plus damage added by their weapon and any applicable abilities or talents. After the check is resolved, your character suffers 2 strain.

Does this seem fair? Or too convoluted?
Laugh
Heart
ThumbsUp
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Sturn

• View Profile
    • Elemental Steam
Re: Talent/Ability Workshop
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 12:47:35 pm »
It seems straight forward. But, I can't wrap my head around what you are trying to emulate. Throwing a sword? What does "Sword Beam" mean? Why the Willpower use?

I have a huge amount of new talents that need help myself. My biggest problem is wondering what Tier I should place them at. I really have no good grasp of where to place some of them, so I might not be the best help, but willing to discuss!  :)
Laugh
Heart
ThumbsUp
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted ThumbsUp:
Swordbreaker,

Swordbreaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 01:45:21 pm »
It seems straight forward. But, I can't wrap my head around what you are trying to emulate. Throwing a sword? What does "Sword Beam" mean? Why the Willpower use?

I have a huge amount of new talents that need help myself. My biggest problem is wondering what Tier I should place them at. I really have no good grasp of where to place some of them, so I might not be the best help, but willing to discuss!  :)

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SwordBeam

Here's what I'm getting at.

And feel free to post your ideas.
Laugh
Heart
ThumbsUp
No reactions
No reactions
Sturn,

Archellus

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 03:37:07 pm »
Hello

First, the attack seems to indicate some sort of magical ability so you might want to put that as a prerequisite if it fits in your setting so something like. Your character must have 1 rank in arcane to use this talent. Or something similar unless anyone in your setting can throw around sword beams :)

Second, the talent is very underwhelming for a T3 talent. If I am a melee fighter this allows me to do a worse attack with less damage for 2 strain in short range. All it would take is a maneuver to close to melee range and resolve a normal attack.

Usually, melee weapons that add a range to it are always resolved at average difficulty to avoid any speculation to use these at short distance at a lower difficulty.  This can be seen in the keyforge book for example check page 221 the Darkwater tree adversary. The write-up is something like this "the difficulty for this is always Average".

For a tier 3 ability, I would make it more powerful and worthwhile to use. Maybe give it some funky stuff let it go out to medium range and give it a fun effect.

Other tier 3 talents include stuff that either takes out rivals or minions or deal extra damage or attacks via advantages or strain.
Laugh
Heart
ThumbsUp
No reactions
No reactions
Sturn,

Swordbreaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 04:36:53 pm »
First, the attack seems to indicate some sort of magical ability so you might want to put that as a prerequisite if it fits in your setting so something like. Your character must have 1 rank in arcane to use this talent. Or something similar unless anyone in your setting can throw around sword beams :)

Fair point, though it's not a prerequisite I would add for what I plan to use this ability for. I could otherwise see this as a fair addition.

Second, the talent is very underwhelming for a T3 talent. If I am a melee fighter this allows me to do a worse attack with less damage for 2 strain in short range. All it would take is a maneuver to close to melee range and resolve a normal attack.

For a tier 3 ability, I would make it more powerful and worthwhile to use. Maybe give it some funky stuff let it go out to medium range and give it a fun effect.

Other tier 3 talents include stuff that either takes out rivals or minions or deal extra damage or attacks via advantages or strain.

I might drop it down a tier and bump its max range to medium, then.

Usually, melee weapons that add a range to it are always resolved at average difficulty to avoid any speculation to use these at short distance at a lower difficulty.  This can be seen in the keyforge book for example check page 221 the Darkwater tree adversary. The write-up is something like this "the difficulty for this is always Average".

While I agree that's typically the case with unique weapons and talents that allow for that, like whips or pikes or something, in this case the attack is more intended to be used like a magical attack, so I feel like the distinction works here. Though I suppose this particular feature would need the most play-testing.
Laugh
Heart
ThumbsUp
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Swordbreaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 12:48:20 pm »
Got another one:

Drain / Blood Drain
Activation: Incidental
Ranked: No
Tier: 3 or 4
(Optional: Your character must have purchased the Dark Insight talent to benefit from this talent.)
When your character casts an Attack spell using the Arcana skill, they may increase the difficulty of the check once to add the Drain additional effect: If the attack successfully inflicts 1 or more wounds on the target, your character heals wounds equal to the wounds inflicted or their ranks in Knowledge [Knowledge (Forbidden) if using that skill] (whichever amount is lesser).

Laugh
Heart
ThumbsUp
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Sturn

• View Profile
    • Elemental Steam
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 06:18:17 am »
If the attack successfully inflicts 1 or more wounds on the target, your character heals wounds equal to the wounds inflicted or their ranks in Knowledge [Knowledge (Forbidden) if using that skill] (whichever amount is lesser).

At first it jumped out at me that it would be simpler to just use "heals wounds equal to the wounds inflicted" instead of adding in Knowledge. Then I realized that you wanted to stress it was a dark magic, so put in the Forbidden limiter, so that makes sense to me.

As for Tier, this is where I have problems determining what is appropriate. Perhaps it's my old Advanced D&D days recalling the Vampiric Touch spell, that makes me worried this talent could become a game changer (dealing out damage while healing yourself), so the higher the tier the better? In-play use may be needed to settle where you want the tier to be.

Could it become abused and what to do if it does? I think the 2 Strain per spell cast would prevent this from being spammed. The caster could find it easy to heal himself of Wounds without wasting an attack action (you potentially do both at the same time), but the trade off is he's going to be getting too much Strain with repeated use. A potential abuser would of course be looking for ways to easily recoup Strain quickly. As in, imagine a player that grabs a magical item or some other new talent that suddenly increases the odds of rolling extra Advantage....and uses this Advantage to easily negate or recover Strain from casting. Now she's spamming this DamageThem/HealMe spell constantly in every single battle.

If it is abused and becomes a problem, the GM could use Threats rolled while using Blood Drain to cause additional Strain to the caster. This would not require a new rule at all, just use the usual 1 Threat causes 1 Strain. But, a player who knows the GM is commonly going to use the Threats to cause Strain when using this talent could slow things down a bit if it's being spammed. So, I think that's a good counter, already in the rules. So probably all still good.

There are Magical Implements introduced in Terrinoth that could boost this talent if they are allowed in the setting. A "Wand of Blood/Death" would add 3 to any attack damage, which thus could heal 3 more Wounds when using this ability. If such a wand was also made out of Bone, it would automatically heal 1 additional Wound when successfully casting an Attack.
Laugh
Heart
ThumbsUp
No reactions
No reactions
Swordbreaker,

Swordbreaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 09:46:31 am »
When it comes to magic, if you go by RAW on table III.2-4 (p. 211), 1 threat is equal to 2 strain or 1 wound, not the typical 1-to-1 ratio.
Laugh
Heart
ThumbsUp
No reactions
No reactions
Sturn,

Swordbreaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 08:48:14 am »
Here's an idea for a magic item.

Crest of Hypnos
While wearing the crest of Hypnos, whenever the character casts an Attack spell with any magic skill, they may add the Non-lethal additional effect to the spell without increasing the difficulty. Narratively, spells cast using a crest of Hypnos induce a powerful sense of drowsiness in the targeted character. A character incapacitated by such a spell falls into a deep, magically-induced sleep.

Laugh
Heart
ThumbsUp
No reactions
No reactions
Sturn,

Sturn

• View Profile
    • Elemental Steam
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 12:34:37 pm »
Ok I'm back with some (yes just some) of my talents. Please tell me if you wish to put them in a different thread I will move them.

Explanation first. I'm trying to add a series of linked talents to give a sort of "specialization" feel for certain skills. For example, a crafter might wish to specialize in being a smith, or a melee character may wish to specialize in swords vs axes. That sort of thing. To save space, I'm going to give simple one sentence explanations. I'm hoping for someone to help me with the proper Tiers for these talents, or point out any issues I haven't noticed.

First batch(es) will be weapons.

The Choppa T2: Gives BOO when using Melee with any Axe. 
The Choppa (improved) T3: While using any Axe, may use 2 ADV (3if the target’s Brawn is greater then yours) on an attack roll to snag a defender’s shield or buckler negating use of the shield during the attacker’s next turn. A Triumph may be used to pull the shield completely from the defender’s grasp.
The Choppa (improved) T4: When an attack defeats an opponent, any damage beyond what was needed can be applied to a second target Engaged to the attacker. Add a Strain requirement?

Hammer Time T2: Gives BOO when using Melee with any mace, hammer, or warhammer.
Hammer Time (improved) T3: When Disorient is applied as part of a melee weapon attack (nearly all blunt weapons in my setting) you may increase the Disorient rating by 1 per Strain expended (thus increasing the duration of the the Disorient).
Hammer Time (supreme) T4: When attacking with a melee weapon with the Knockdown quality, it requires 1 less ADV to activate, to a minimum of 1.

Ol' Ball & Chain T2: Gives BOO when using Flails (any) with a Melee attack.
Ol' Ball & Chain (improved) T3: Ignore 1 defense from Shields of opponents when using a Flail
Ol' Ball & Chain (supreme) T4: Opponents may not use the Parry ability against you when making attacks with a Flail.

Arbalester T1: During the first round of combat (only) crossbow attacks gain 1 automatic ADV if already prepared.
Arbalester (improved) T2: Gives BOO when using Ranged with any crossbow.
Arbalester (supreme) T3: Spend 1 Strain to remove one from the Prepare quality of any crossbow. Can spend multiple Strain to remove more?

Pole Dancer T1: May instead choose to attack with the opposite end of any polearm as if it is a Staff. Polearms includes any polearm, but also staves and spears. If the weapon IS a staff, this talent instead grants Linked 1, but it requires 3 ADV to activate.
Pole Dancer (improved) T2: Gives BOO with any polearm including staves and spears.
Pole Dancer (supreme) T3: May dual wield with any polearm by using the opposite end, default is a staff attack without attachments.

The Blade Itself T2: Gives BOO when using any sword.
The Blade Itself (improved) T3: May spend 2 ADV on a Melee attack with a sword, to give yourself BOO with the same attack against the same opponent next action. However, the GM may also spend 1 THR from your attack to give the same opponent a BOO against you during his next attack.
The Blade Itself (supreme) T4: When attacked while wielding a sword with the defensive quality, you may force the attacker to reroll any Setback die of your choice after the attack was rolled by spending 1 Strain per die.

Scrapper T1:This is the same as the Tavern Brawler T1 talent from Terrinoth. It adds ADV to combat checks when using improvised weapons.
Scrapper (improved) T2: BOO when using any mundane weapons. This does not include Improvised weapons. It does include anything that could be considered “civilian” – staves, knives, clubs, hatchets, wood axes, etc. This BOO does not stack with the BOO given by other weapon talents?
Scrapper (supreme) T3:  You know how to use mundane items in a deadly way. Any mundane weapon you yield gains the Vicious 1 quality.

Backstab T3: From Terrinoth. If the target is unaware, each success gives 2 damage instead of 1.
Backstab (improved) T4: Automatic 2 ADV added to any backstab check. Just 1 ADV?
Backstab (supreme) T5: May expend 1 Strain to add Vicious 1 (+10 to Critical Injury roll) to a backstab with a critical result. Must spend the Strain before the critical roll is made. May spend multiple Strain (a.i. before the critical result roll, spend 3 Strain to add +30 to the roll).
Laugh
Heart
ThumbsUp
No reactions
No reactions
Swordbreaker,