Author Topic: Mythic GM Emulator with Genesys  (Read 228 times)

Craftidore

• View Profile
Mythic GM Emulator with Genesys
« on: February 10, 2021, 01:22:27 pm »
Does anyone have tips for using the Mythic GM Emulator with the narrative dice system.
With the non-binary resolution method of the narrative dice system, I feel like the GM Emulator and the dice system end up overlapping.
Does anyone have experience using the Mythic GME with Genesys/SWRPG, and what have you learned from the experience?
Laugh
Heart
ThumbsUp
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Sturn

• View Profile
    • Elemental Steam
Re: Mythic GM Emulator with Genesys
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 07:32:35 pm »
I'm sorry, I had never heard of this before. It sounds interesting though!
Laugh
Heart
ThumbsUp
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jendefer

• View Profile
Re: Mythic GM Emulator with Genesys
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 11:10:52 pm »
Yes, I have experience using Mythic GME with Genesys/SWRPG. Regarding the concern about overlap between the GME and the narrative dice system, my experience is that one needs to go to GME less often when playing Genesys than one would when playing a pass/fail RPG. Genesys already has threats/advantages and triumphs/despairs for the players to alter their environment and introduce new features, whereas other systems need to rely more heavily on the GME for doing that.

In a Genesys/GME game, the emulator is still very helpful for setting up a scene (and determining whether it deviates from what you thought). It is also good for informing NPC actions and for resolving things like Perception checks. Regarding NPCs, I'll add that I've played with the Mythic blue book, which is the first edition. I know things changed in some of the later releases to help guide NPCs more. When we play, we use the action/subject tables to give guidance on an NPC's motivations, but we also use the oracle table to help decide things like, "Does this NPC have 2 ranks in Charm?" We do not do that for every stat (we lean heavily on existing adversary stat blocks) but it can really help flesh out an NPC if you find you are interacting with them more. And in some cases, NPCs have blown up into demi-PCs, so knowing more about their stats became a necessity.

Playing with a GM emulator with definitely a different experience than playing with a GM. Even though I as a GM only do limited planning for a session, and so in some sense am playing to "find out what happens," with the GME that is really, really true. It can be quite mentally exhausting, and if you are using it for playing with other people, it is really important to make quick decisions on interpreting the oracle results, and not get bogged down in analyzing all the possibilities. Look for what is a reasonable, logical interpretation, and move on from there.

There's an actual play on my website of some scenes from a two-player SWRPG game using the GM Emulator, so you could give that a listen to get a feel for how it can go. It's not in the podcast stream because we didn't record the full campaign, just messed around with audio equipment towards the end. This one scene is less than half an hour long and really gets started around 02:00. We include the scene set-up, and we evaluate the likelihood of various things before rolling on the oracle table several times, but we also use what we know of the rules to set difficulties for other skill checks without involving the GME.

https://diceystories.com/rh312-resh-hour-3-into-the-dark-part-12-2/
Laugh
Heart
ThumbsUp
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions